This is a fresh take on the classic tuna sandwich that does not sacrifice flavour or texture. Leftover tuna filling can be easily used for a quick lunch the next day. Using avocado instead of mayonnaise makes this sandwich a great source of healthy fats and fibre.
|Avocados, ripe, peeled, pitted, and mashed
Green onion, chopped
Canned tuna, water packed
Light parmesan cheese, grated
Romaine lettuce, chopped
- In a medium bowl, combine mashed avocados, chopped celery, green onions, and lemon juice.
- Gently fold in canned tuna.
- Add parmesan cheese, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to mixture.
- Chop romaine lettuce and tomatoes.
- Toast multi-grain bread and fill each sandwich with ½ cup tuna filling and a 2 slices each of tomato and romaine lettuce.
- Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings (2 cups (500 mL) filling) 1 serving = 2 slices of bread + ½ cup (125 mL) of filling (237g/serving)
Adapted from: Just Braise Blogspot