This recipe takes less than 5 minutes to prepare and provides a quick and easy vegetable side dish that’s loved by the whole family. Sweet potato fries baked in olive oil offers a tasty, lower-fat, lower-sodium option versus its cousin, the deep fried French Fry. This food is also a good source of dietary fibre (leave the skin on for maximum fibre), vitamin B6, iron, and potassium, and a very good source of vitamin A, vitamin C, and manganese.
Sweet potato – 1 small
Dried rosemary – 1 Tbsp (15 mL)
Dried thyme – 1 Tbsp (15 mL)
Olive oil – 1 Tbsp (15 mL)
Parmesan cheese, shredded – 1 Tbsp (15 mL)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Wash the sweet potato under cold running water and scrub
away any dirt.
- Leaving the skin on, cut the sweet potato in half lengthwise,
then cut into matchstick-sized fries about 1-2 cm thick.
- In a large bowl, combine sweet potato fries, dried spices, oil,
and parmesan cheese. Mix together with a large spoon.
Another quick option is to place all ingredients in a large
resealable tupperware container and shake for 5-10 seconds
to mix well.
- Spread sweet potato fries across the baking sheet, trying to
allow a bit of space between each fry.
- Bake at 375°F for approximately 30-35 minutes. Switch to
broiling the fries on high for the last 5 minutes of cooking to
make them crispier.
Serving Size Guide: 1 small sweet potato = 1 serving/person (86g/serving) = 2 vegetable servings
Adapted From: Jennifer Broxterman’s Kitchen