This is a classic Italian bread-and-tomato salad. Adding a variety of fresh summer vegetables and herbs puts a modern twist to the traditional Panzanella salad. Be adventurous with this recipe and use whatever veggies you have on hand to make a colourful salad to share with friends. This veggie-loaded salad is abundant in vitamins C and A, and is a great source of iron and fibre too!
|Sweet Bell Peppers (assorted)||3 large||3 large|
|Summer squash/zucchini||4 large||4 large|
|Red onion (diced)||1 medium||1 medium|
|Fresh lemon juice||¼ cup||50 mL|
|Red wine vinegar||2 Tbsp||30 mL|
|Dijon mustard||½ tsp||2 mL|
|Extra virgin olive oil||⅓ cup||80mL|
|Fresh tomatoes (diced)||5 medium||5 medium|
|Fresh parsley (chopped)||2 Tbsp||30 mL|
|Fresh basil (sliced)||3 Tbsp||45 mL|
|Fresh ciabatta (small)||1 loaf||1 loaf|
- Chop peppers and zucchini into bite-size pieces and place in a large bowl.
- Dice the onion and add to the bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, vinegar, and mustard. Slowly whisk in olive oil.
- Add dressing, diced tomatoes, and fresh herbs to the vegetables.
- Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut ciabatta loaf into 1 inch cubes. If desired, toast for 5 minutes in a pre-heated 200°C (400°F) oven.
Add ciabatta chunks just before serving. Season salad with salt & pepper. Mix well.
Adapted from: Epicurious.com
Makes 4 servings (458 g / serving) 1 serving = 1 large bowl of salad
Prepared By: Jennifer Broxterman, Registered Dietitian & Joyce Ho, BScH Foods & Nutrition student
NutritionRx Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: (519) 520-9549 Website: www.nutritionrx.ca