Make this salad the night before to shake-up the usual packed sandwich for lunch. Fresh herbs brighten the flavour of chickpeas. If you decide to use dried herbs instead of fresh, reduce the amount.
Prep: 15 minutes
Refrigerate: several hours or overnight
Yield: 4 servings, 3 cups (750 mL).
1 serving = ¾ cup
2 Tbsp – Red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp – Olive or canola oil
1 clove – Garlic clove, minced
¼ tsp – Salt
¼ tsp – Freshly ground black pepper
1 can (19 oz) – Canned chickpeas, drained & rinsed
¼ cup – Sweet red pepper, diced
¼ cup – Cucumber, diced
¼ cup – Onion, diced
¼ cup – Pitted black olives (see Tip)
1 Tbsp – Fresh parsley, chopped
1 tsp each – Fresh oregano, rosemary, thyme (or ½ tsp/2 mL each if using dried herbs).
- In a bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, garlic, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine chickpeas, red pepper, cucumber, onion, olives, parsley, oregano, rosemary, and thyme.
- Pour vinegar mixture over salad, tossing gently.
- Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight to allow flavours to blend.
- The easiest way to pit an olive is to smack it with the side of a chef’s knife.
- Non-olive lovers may replace them with chopped sweet green pepper.
From: Choice Menus (Marjorie Hollands & Margaret Howard) pg. 65