Laurie Sturgell Knowles is a full-time mom with some serious wheels. If you see a woman clipping along at 6 minute miles with a baby stroller, say “Hi Laurie”. Knowles talks about what a typical day looks like, and where her mind will wander when the going gets tough on January 14th.
Runners Feed: Take us through a typical day of your life
• Wake up at 5:03 (somehow it doesn’t seem so bad if it is past 5 am!). brush teeth, throw on clothes, and out the door by 5:10.
• Drive to meet running friends for an easy 8-10 mile run. sweat, gossip, laugh, and then done
• Pick up coffee for hubby and coke for me on the way home,. back before 7 AM so I can swap baby duty with my husband, as he heads off to work!
• 7 AM -3 PM time to be mom. take my little guy (Cooper, almost 2) to the park, play choo-choo, play blocks, color, eat, etc.
• 3 PM – take Cooper to the River for another run with the baby jogger. Or, if I can find a babysitter or my parents are around, drop him off there and then go out for another 4-8 miles. If I have to do a speed workout, I often do it then too (without baby jogger ,of course).
• 5 PM – make dinner
• 7 PM – hubby home, family dinner
• 8 PM – put Cooper to bed
• 9:30 or so – in bed. Try to read. sometimes successful, other times lights out!
RF: Do you work full or part-time while training? If so, what do you do? If not, what has kept you afloat while you pursue your dream?
LSK: I worked full time up until last year. Since then, I have opted to stay home with my son. My husband has crazy hours and a very demanding job, so he keeps us afloat financially while I take care of the household stuff.
RF: When the going gets tough on the 14th what will keep you gunning for the finish line?
LSK: Thoughts of all the many many many hours I spent preparing for this!! And the sacrifices I made! Plus thoughts of the time off when it is done!
RF: What will you eat the night before?
LSK: Gluten free pasta!
RF: Race day shoes?
LSK: Brooks. I’ve had the same pair for a couple years and can’t give them up. One more race…