While your barbeque is hot, why not take on dessert? Besides being an excellent source of fibre and vitamin C, this colourful plum melba is low in sodium and saturated fat. Serve alongside frozen yogurt for an easy, summery option. Also works as a delicious tart filling, if you’re looking to mix things up!
3 each – Limes
3 pints ( 1.4 L) – Fresh raspberries
½ cup (125 mL) – Granulated white sugar
1 pint (470 mL) – Fresh blueberries
1 pint (470 mL) – Fresh blackberries
4 large – Ripe plums
2 pints(940mL) – Lowfat frozen yogurt Directions:
- Preheat grill.
- Zest and juice 2 limes; keep separate. You’ll need about 1 tsp of zest.
- In small saucepan, combine 2 pints raspberries with ¼ cup sugar. Cook over medium heat until raspberries start to release juices and break down.
- Remove raspberries from saucepan; pour into blender and puree. Strain to remove seeds. Season to taste with lime juice, and set aside.
- Toss together remaining raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, remaining sugar, lime juice, and lime zest. Set aside.
- Pit plums, and cut them into halves. Grill until they have grill marks and are warmed through – about 3 minutes each side. Remove from grill.
- To serve: combine a grilled plum half with a scoop (about ½ cup) of ice cream in a shallow dish. Spoon equal amounts of raspberry sauce on top, and finish with equal amounts of berry mixture.
- Garnish with grilled lime, and serve!
Makes 8 servings (301g/ serving).
Adapted From: SELF Magazine, June 2002
Written by: Jennifer Broxterman, Registered Dietitian & Sports Nutritionist
Runners Feed in partnership with NutritionRx
Phone: (519) 520-9549
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com