A quick and simple recipe with little prep work needed, this is a delicious soup to throw together on a whim when you can’t decide what to make! This soup is packed with fibre, vitamins A and C, iron, and protein. Choosing small multi-coloured heirloom tomatoes provides a more mellow taste and additional nutrients though a normal red punnet is just as great too!
|Garlic, minced||1 clove||1 clove|
|Onion, chopped||1 medium||1 medium|
|Cherry tomatoes, halved||2 cups||500 mL|
|Olive oil||1 Tbsp||15 mL|
|Sherry vinegar||1 Tbsp||15 mL|
|Passata (tomato puree)||1 ½ cups||375 mL|
|Vegetable stock||1 cup||250 mL|
|Fresh basil leaves, torn||2 Tbsp||30 mL|
|Salt||To taste||To taste|
|Pepper||To taste||To taste|
- Mince the garlic, chop the onion and halve the cherry tomatoes.
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan.
- Add the garlic and onion and fry until softened.
- Slowly add the vinegar, allowing it to boil and evaporate until little liquid is left.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Pour in the passata and the vegetable stock; bring to a simmer.
- Add the torn/shredded basil leaves, and season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Makes 2 servings (618 g / serving) 1 serving = 1 large bowl of soup (½ the recipe)
Prepared By: Jennifer Broxterman, Registered Dietitian & Joyce Ho, BScH Foods & Nutrition student
NutritionRx Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: (519) 520-9549 Website: www.nutritionrx.ca