A simple salad with a burst of zesty lime and few ingredients – the perfect start to a meal. This salad is low in calories but gives a boost of fibre, vitamin A, and iron, and is loaded with vitamin C. Pick a variety of yellow and green zucchinis for a more colourful dish and try substituting other fresh herbs such as flat-leaf parsley or basil for a deeper flavour profile!
|Zucchini||4 small||4 small|
|Extra virgin olive oil||2 Tbsp||30 mL|
|Lime juice||2 Tbsp||30 mL|
|Sugar||½ tsp||2 mL|
|Salt||To taste||To taste|
|Black pepper, freshly ground||½ tsp||2 mL|
|Fresh mint leaves, chopped||½ tsp||2 mL|
|Toasted almonds (optional)||1 ½ tsp||7 mL|
- Trim the zucchini. Using a vegetable peeler (straight or wavy), peel the zucchini lengthwise into long, thin strips. Set aside.
- Peel and slice the avocado into 8 wedges. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Gently stir in the mint into the dressing.
- Add the zucchini and avocado, gently tossing them to distribute the dressing evenly.
- If using, sprinkle toasted almonds on top.
- Serve immediately!
Makes 4 servings (249 g / serving) 1 serving = ¼ recipe
Adapted from: Gary Rhodes 365
Prepared By: Jennifer Broxterman, Registered Dietitian & Joyce Ho, BScH Foods & Nutrition student
NutritionRx Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: (519) 520-9549 Website: www.nutritionrx.ca